Saturday, March 7, 2009

Initiating a Recession Theme

I'm not sure exactly how this line of thinking should go. I'm hoping to flesh through some thoughts about how Asians (in general, not necessarily gay ones) react to recessionary times. Like everyone else I suppose.

But growing up in Honolulu, a common stereotype was that Chinese were cheap. I'm not sure it's fair to say because I'm not sure why they were singled out. And at the same time (that I was in my teens), the Japanese were at the other end of the spectrum, buying up land in Waikiki. Lately, news that Chinese investors are taking tours of the U.S. to buy up real estate has made headlines.

I bring this up only to say that before we "go there" and begin what I recall to be a resentment of one Asian race by others of Asian descent for economic reasons, let's acknowledge that frugality is a universal rule. It's plain common sense. Unless you've already made your millions, everyone needs to watch their spending.

What I am curious about is starting a dialogue about how different Asian cultures view business, spending and saving. As people of Asian descent, we wear a business card on our faces that say to other Asians maybe you can trust us. I don't think I'm off base in saying that. My question would be how best to use that asset.

The discussion will continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment