Saturday, October 10, 2015

Night of 100 Drag Queens


While it may seem like an odd thing to do, I signed up to perform in "Night of 100 Drag Queens," a pretty big drag showcase here in Chicago's Boystown strip. I have a couple of things to promote, one being an indie movie I happened to be in with Margaret Cho (due out next spring called "Alaska is a Drag") and the international Asians & Friends conference IFCON 2016, which will be in Chicago next Labor Day (www.ifcon2016.org).

It was a last-minute decision to toss my hat in the ring, and thankfully organizers had not reached their drag limit. (Sidetrack, 3349 N. Halsted, Chicago, Oct. 21-22, 2015. 7 p.m. start.) And after several days of considering my song, hunting for an outfit and creating and rehearsing choreography (not to mention lip syncing), I started to think about why I jumped into it in the first place.

While I've been a dancer for much of my youth and always dreamed of performing for a living, I've long since moved into my life as a business journalist. My financial stability is the fruit of my labor. It seems crazy at this point in my life to try to self promote myself as a performer, even though being in any movie with a major celebrity is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I suppose one never gives up whenever there's a flicker of excitement on the horizon. I mean, I've accepted my lot. I've enjoyed what steady employment provides and for me, it is fulfilling work. Still, it feels good to jump off a cliff every now and then.

Yours in Adventure,

Angel Bright

No comments:

Post a Comment